Please see the Medical Disclosure at the bottom of the post!
I am so happy to have had this last week or two getting to know you. I hope that you are enjoying yourself here so far. I would love to hear from you on what you would like to learn or see.
What I have heard a bunch this last week is: “Where do I even start?!”
Well let me help you! This will be the first post in my “dōTERRA for Your Health” series. This Series is going to focus on a holistic approach to what ails us. More and more people are seeking a natural way to help protect and improve their bodies. Now, I in no way discourage taking modern medicines. There are many good reasons for them, and many good results coming from modern science. However, if you have read my post on being an Oatmeal Raisin Cookie then you will know that I am encouraging of anything we can do to help our bodies and ourselves without chemicals. That will be my focus here. I hope that you will join me in learning more about how our Earth, and all of its provisions, can help us.
Today I will be focusing on how dōTERRA oils and products can support healthy thyroid function. (If there is an ailment that you suffer from, please message me or comment and I will try to focus on it next.)
First, what is the thyroid?
The thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland that sits low on the front of the neck. It secretes several hormones, collectively called thyroid hormones. These hormones are crucial for proper function throughout the body. They influence the metabolism, growth and development, and body temperature. As you can see, if there is something off, it can cause craziness with your body.
What problem can the thyroid have?
The two most common struggles are hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism. (1)
- Hyperthyroidism: The term hyperthyroidism refers to any condition in which there is too much thyroid hormone present in the thyroid. In other words, the thyroid gland is overactive.
- Hypothyroidism: Hypothyroidism is an underactive thyroid gland. Hypothyroidism means that the thyroid gland can’t make enough thyroid hormone to keep the body running normally.
These issues can be caused by an autoimmune disease, medicines, hormone imbalances, or even diet and exercise. Some times it is a combination of several of these items.
What does that mean for your body?
Some of the most common symptoms are (2):
- Depression and anxiety
- Weight gain
- Sensitivity to the cold
- Slow or foggy thoughts
- Muscle aches and tenderness
- Stiffness and swelling in the joints
- Hair loss
- Dry skin and hair
- Changes in the menstrual cycle
Of course there are many reasons for these symptoms and none alone, or even together, are proof of thyroid dysfunction. Please contact your doctor if you are concerned about any symptoms you are having.
How can a healthy lifestyle support healthy thyroid function?
(This is not a complete list of all dietary suggestions.)
Iodine is key for proper thyroid function (3). Too little iodine in the diet can cause under active thyroid and too much can cause over active thyroid. Iodized salt and sea veggies (kelp and seaweed) are both good sources of Iodine, if you are low.
Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids are essential for hormone balance and over-all health of the body (4). Not only do you need both, but they work best when they are in balance with each other. “…human beings evolved on a diet with a ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 essential fatty acids (EFA) of approximately 1 whereas in Western diets the ratio is 15/1-16.7/1. Western diets are deficient in omega-3 fatty acids, and have excessive amounts of omega-6 fatty acids…” (5). If all that seemed a little long-winded, all they are saying is that we don’t get enough Omega-3’s to balance out all of the Omega-6’s that we eat. dōTERRA has a wonderful line of supplements, including xEO MEGA that is a blend of Omega-3s and other vitamines to help your body be where it should be.
Water, Water, Water- Again, for your overall health, you need to stay hydrated. By staying hydrated you can keep fatigue and sugar cravings at bay. Drinking enough water will also help your digestion, and proper cleansing of the body.
If you are like my mama, and despise drinking plain water, I have a solution for you! Slim & Sassy is an amazing blend of Grapefruit, Lemon, Peppermint, Ginger, and Cinnamon that takes plain water and makes it spunky and crisp. The Slim & Sassy blend also helps kick sugar cravings, eases tummy upset and revs up the metabolism.
What ways can I use dōTERRA products to maximize my healthy choices?
1. I have already mentioned xEO MEGA which may improve joint, cardiovascular, and brain health, and support healthy immune function.
2. I also mentioned Slim & Sassy as a wonderful product to help cleanse the body by increasing water intake and stimulating the metabolism. I use this product nearly every day. It is also great to add a little pizzaz to green tea or a morning shake.
3. There are several oils that help stimulate and support healthy thyroid function. Among the top suggestions are Frankincense, Lemongrass and Clove. All three oils can be used internally, aromatically or topically. All three of these oils may cause irritation if you have sensitive skin. Please dilute with a carrier oil to reduce irritation.
- Frankincense- Has properties including: immunostimulant, supports healthy response to inflammation, promotes balanced emotions and positive outlook and restorative.
- Lemongrass- Also supports a healthy response to inflammation and has regenerative properties.
- Clove- Has regenerative properties for cellular function.
Learn how to save 25% on ALL dōTERRA products by reading my exhaustive guide on their wholesale program.
Here are a few suggested combinations to help support low thyroid function:
- Combine three drops of frankincense oil with five drops lemongrass oil and five drops clove oil. Rub these directly on the thyroid, which is located at the front lower part of your neck.
- You can also try putting two drops of frankincense oil on the roof of your mouth twice daily.
- Combine 1 part Lemongrass, 1 part Peppermint, and 1 part carrier oil. Rub directly over the thyroid area and reflexology points (big toe) 3 times daily.
- To combat fatigue add a few drops of Peppermint and a citrus oil (like grapefruit or lemongrass) to a diffuser or rub them in your palms and inhale slowly for several breaths.
These are only a few suggestions as there are so many possible combinations. As you get to learn more about the oils and each of their benefit, you will be able to start mixing up your own miracle oils. 🙂
The information contained on this website is presented for the purpose of educating people about general benefits that can be seen from using dōTERRA Essential Oils. Nothing contained on this web site should be construed nor is intended to be used for medical diagnosis or treatment. It should not be used in place of the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider. Should you have any health care related questions, please call or see your physician or other qualified health care provider promptly. Always consult with your physician or other qualified health care provider before embarking on a new treatment, diet, or fitness program.
You should never disregard medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The products listed are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.